The Praiswater family moved to California in the late 1920s and opened a funeral home in the downtown area, which at the time was at the center of Van Nuys. In 1939, they decided to move Praiswater Funeral Home to the J.J. Whitley Mansion at 5849 Van Nuys Blvd.
Pierce Brothers purchased Praiswater Funeral Home on October 1, 1985.At 5940 Van Nuys Blvd., across the street from Praiswater’s, the Swimleys operated a funeral home. In 1929, it was sold and became the Ross H. Jones Funeral Home. It was sold again in 1943 to Elmer Meyer. At that time, there was a student attending Van Nuys High School by the name of Bill Mitchell. He worked for Meyer Funeral Home until he left for duty in the war. Bill returned from war and he and Elmer Meyer formed Meyer-Mitchell Mortuary.
In 1984, the funeral home was sold to Pierce Brothers and became Pierce Brothers Meyer-Mitchell. The 1994 earthquake damaged both Praiswater and Meyer-Mitchell funeral homes. The two mortuaries then merged, and the Praiswater building was torn down and the property at 5940 Van Nuys Blvd. was fully remodeled.
In October 1995, the mortuary reopened under the name Praiswater Meyer-Mitchell. In 2006, to meet the needs of our growing Hispanic community, we joined the Jardines y Funerarias Del Angel family under the name Funeraria Del Angel Praiswater.
We are also proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers.